My boys have really been enjoying their VTech V.Reader, Benji especially. (If you missed my first post about the V.Reader you can check it out here) He is five and just really getting into this whole reading thing. Being that my boys are so competitive its not a secret that Benji really wants to know how to read because he is feeling left out of something that his big brother can do. One reason that the V.Reader is seeing so much use is that it lets Benji feel like he has cracked the reading code. Obviously he knows that he's not reading like his brother does but it really helps boost his confidence and I love to see him so excited to be a part of it.
One thing that really excites me about the V.Reader is the story mode. Benji has a speech delay and it is a huge worry for me that he will have trouble learning to read because he sounds out words differently than he should. When you sound words out incorrectly it can lead to trouble not only with reading but spelling as well. In story mode he can look at the words and hear them being read to him at the same time. I also love that in game mode he can learn to spell some of the key words used in the story too.
I went upstairs to check on the boys after I sent them to bed and snapped this cute photo of Benji, sneaking in some extra time with his V.Reader.
How Do You Encourage You Kids To Read?
VTech is asking parents to encourage their children to read as much as they can this summer by taking the VTech Summer Reading Pledge. VTech will be giving away a Vtech V.Reader to the first 100 moms or dads to sign up for the pledge!
What We Do To Encourage Reading at Our House
- We have a calendar that we mark off each day that the kids spend time reading. If they have read every day for the entire month they are rewarded with a family trip to Chuck E. Cheese.
- Oscar is really motivated by chapter books, because it sounds cooler, so we like to make fun paper bookmarks for him to mark the pages where he leaves off.
- Oscar reads to his little brothers to be a good role model for them. The younger ones want to do whatever the older one is doing so that in itself is a great motivator.
- When driving around I like to point out signs for Oscar to read or ask Benji to recognize letters that are in his name.
If you missed out on last weeks VTech V.Reader giveaway you are in luck! One lucky Pretty Pink Momma reader will have a shot at winning one this week too! This is a very short giveaway so you gotta be in it to win it!
One lucky Pretty Pink Momma reader will win their choice of a pink or blue VTech V.Reader and one surprise animated story cartridge! ARV $80
How To Enter: Comment on this post and tell me one of your tips that you use to encourage your children to read. Giveaway open to US Only
Congratulations to Mom Caboodle!
As an added bonus I will be selecting what I think are the five best tips and pass them along to the folks at VTech, who are compiling the The Ultimate Tip List For Encouraging Our Kids to Read. One of the contributors to the tip list will be awarded a VTech V.Reader and 3 animated stories! I know that your excited now!
Get Extra Entries! Remember to leave a comment for each extra entry
- Get TWO Extra Entries for each new reading tip
- Get TEN Extra Entries for blogging about your tips to encourage your kids to read and link back to this post, The Motherhood VTech circle and V.Reader. Leave a link to your post in the first of ten comments.
- Get FIVE Extra Entries for adding the VTech V.Reader circle to your favorites on The Motherhood
- Get FIVE Extra Entries for joining the VTech Club, leave five comments
- Get THREE Extra entries for becoming a Facebook Fan of Pretty Pink Momma and the VTech Toys, leave five comments.
- Get THREE Extra entries for posting on VTech Toys Facebook wall "I entered to win a VTech V.Reader from Pretty Pink Momma - You can too! Enter here http://is.gd/dBP66"
- Get SIX Extra entries if you Subscribe Via Email to Pretty Pink Momma posts, leave six comments - you must activate your email subscription for these entries to count.
- Get THREE Extra entries if you Follow PrettyPinkMomma and VTechToys on Twitter and tweet about this giveaway. Leave the tweet url in one of your three comments. Please copy and paste this into your tweet:
- Get ONE extra entry per tweet, *no more than one tweet per hour* - leave the tweet url in your comment for each extra tweet
- Get TWO extra entries for retweeting my tweets about this giveaway - leave the tweet url in your comment for each extra retweet
- Get FIVE Extra entries if you Stumble this post, leave five comments
Good Luck to all that enter! This giveaway is open until Friday July 23rd, 11:59 PM PST. One winner will be chosen using the Truly Random Number Generator widget located in the footer. The winner will have 24 hours to claim their prize or a new winner will be chosen.
*I share my 100% honest thoughts and opinions in all posts. I am a member of the VTech Voices Community and wrote this post as part of a blog campaign hosted by The Motherhood and sponsored by VTech. For my time and participation in I was provided a stipend as well as a VTech V.Reader and related products. Please refer to my disclosure policy or email me if you have any questions.*